by Jean Van’t Hul for artfulparent.com
Looking for winter activities for kids? Here are lots of fun winter crafts, outdoor snow ideas, winter art activities & winter picture books.
Updated December 2021
It’s winter here in the northern hemisphere which means it’s time for sledding, ice skating, building snowmen, hot chocolate, and, perhaps, more indoor activities than usual.
Here’s more than 31 ideas for winter activities for kids to keep busy all month long. This list includes both outdoor ideas and indoor ideas. It’s a mix of snow play, art activities, crafts, construction, and, of course, a winter book list for kids. These are great ways to keep occupied during the winter months!
31+ Days of Winter Activities for Kids
For a printable version of the list, scroll down to the bottom of this post to get a handy PDF version!
5 Outdoor Snow Play Ideas
First up is outdoor play! These are probably going to be any kids’ favorite winter activities because they truly capture the special nature of this season. It’s a winter wonderland out there, so go enjoy it!
1) Make Swedish snowball lanterns
2) Send the kids on a winter scavenger hunt with colored ice sculptures
3) Build a snowman!
4) Host a backyard winter Olympics (on Rain or Shine Mama)
5) Go on a winter nature walk (on How Wee Learn)
Now for some indoor activities. But just because you are warm inside doesn’t mean you can’t draw inspiration from the season. Here’s a bunch of fun art projects that your kids will enjoy:
6) Make glue resist snowman paintings
7) Paint winter scenes with this easy snow painting technique
8) Microwave puffy paint snowflakes and snowmen
10) Make a stained-glass bunting (with words & wishes for the new year)
Read more here.
Help your child learn to read with Reading Kingdom. Sign up today for a free 30 day trial.