Books for young readers like The Amazing Trail of Seymour Snail by Lynn Hazen is worth reading with your little ones. Our friends at Sweet on Books explain why:
What You Need to Know:
• This is a sweet, sweet book that your young reader will love.
• The story is simple, with an easy to follow plot for young readers ready to transition out of the more simple learn to read stuff.
• The story is quite funny, filled with many bug-filled puns that will also have young children laughing.
• The story has a wonderful message about following your dreams and remaining true to yourself. If it seems at all forced or “message-y” to you, remember, children need clear and simple messages. And this missive on self-confidence does that perfectly.
• This book has been nominated for a 2009 Cybil Award.
Seymour Snail is a closet artist who loves to create, but has no confidence the rest of the world will enjoy his work as much as he does. Until one day, they wind blows all the covers of the artwork he was shyly hiding from his friends. Seymour’s friends are so astounded by his talent, they tell him he must get a job in the arts. Seymour promptly finds a job at Speedy Arts Gallery managed by Mr. Stink Bug. Being Seymour is a snail, and is anything but speedy, the job does not last long. But he keeps this job long enough to be “discovered” by Speedy Arts Gallery owner – Coco La Roach – and the rest of the art world. It ends with Seymour being embraced for his talent as an artist. Cute story with a terrific self-esteem – follow your dreams – lesson. Loved it!
Do you have children who are just learning to read? Explore the Reading Kingdom online reading program for kids. Our award-winning, fun, easy-to-use software teaches children 4-10 years old how to read and write to a third grade level in only 12-18 months.Sign up for a 30 day free trial!