One way to get your kids ready for school is to engage them in conversation. It sounds obvious, but having engaged conversations with your kids is one of the best educational activities that you can do with your children. The key to having engaged conversations is to talk about things that spark your child’s sense of fun and curiosity.
Here are some fun facts that most kids love. They make great conversation starters. You can start conversations by asking questions (e.g., “can you guess …?”), offering information (e.g., “I just found out that…”) or setting up a game (e.g., “Let’s see who knows more…”). Whatever format suits your style is fine.
• dolphins sleep with one eye open!
• at 188 decibels, the whistle of the blue whale is the loudest sound produced by any animal.
• a flute made of bone is the oldest playable musical instrument in the world. It’s a flute carved from a bird’s wing bone more than 9,000 years ago. The flute was discovered with other flutes at an ancient burial site in China.
• the fastest dog, the greyhound, can reach speeds of up to 41.7 miles per hour. The breed was known to exist in ancient Egypt 6,000 years ago
• a cat uses whiskers to determine if a space is too small to squeeze through. The whiskers act as antennae, helping the animal to judge the precise width of any passage.
• the grizzly bear can run as fast as the average horse!!
• the female lion does more than 90% of the hunting while the male simply prefers to rest. !!
• a jellyfish is 95 percent water!
• at birth, a panda is smaller than a mouse and weighs about four ounces.
• dogs and cats, like humans, are either right or left handed… or if you prefer, right or left-pawed
• but all polar bears are left handed.
In our online program, the Reading Kingdom, we teach them in ways that are like games so the children enjoy the activity. If you’re looking for an excellent way to teach a child to read, check out our online reading program. It works with children at multiple levels including preschool reading, kindergarten reading, 1st grade reading, 2nd grade reading, and 3rd grade reading. Each level teaches all the skills and abilities required to be able to progress to the next level. With Reading Kingdom’s comprehensive 6-skill system children’s eagerness to learn will rise significantly even as they experience the lessons as fun reading games. Sign up for the Reading Kingdom’s 30 day free trial today.