Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick is a Reading Kingdom recommended best book for kids. Melissa Young explains why:
“What You Need to Know:
• Between Ben and Rose’s different stories, did one story interest you more? Why or why not?
• What do you think it is like to be deaf? How is it different from being a person capable of hearing?
• Can you think of any advantages to being deaf?
• What did you think of Jamie, Ben’s friend? Was he a good friend? Why or why not?
• Did the end of the story surprise you?
• Did you think that the stories were connected as you read them? Why or why not?
• Have you read From The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler?
• Can you find the 5/6 references to that book in Wonderstruck? What are they?
• Why do you think the author made both characters deaf? Is it important to the storyline?
I am aware I won’t be the first to say this, but I was completely wonderstruck by Wonderstruck. Brian Selznick has done it again. He has created another masterpiece, which shares some similarities with The Invention of Hugo Cabret, including illustrations and format, but Wonderstruck is also very different and wonderful in its own way….
Brian Selznick is truly an artist and storyteller of great talent. Wonderstruck is a fast-paced, terrific novel and a work of art. Children and adult alike will be enthralled by it. I couldn’t put this book down and I can’t wait to read it to or with all three of my children; ages 12, 10 and 6. Wonderstruck is one of those special books that transcends age and gender.”
Have your children read Wonderstruck? What did they think of the book?
Did you know that the Reading Kingdom is a great program for teaching your child to read? The Reading Kingdom is our award-winning, fun, easy-to-use online program that teaches children 4-10 years old how to read and write to a third grade level.You can sign up for a 30 day free trial, risk free!